Thursday, January 7, 2016

Sweet Potato Biscuits Recipe(s)

I have two favorite sweet potato biscuit recipes.  One I use with savory dishes and one I treat as a sweet.  This is the recipe as it is written. However, I do see it as a versatile, frugal recipe because it is adaptable.  I grew up not eating pumpkin because in my area of the South almost everyone grows, or knows someone who does, sweet potatoes.  However, I made the biscuits pictured here with pumpkin (from my Halloween decoration) and they turned out wonderfully. So basically, to keep costs down I used reconstituted powdered milk, pumpkin from the freezer, and shelf stable fat.


The dough is soft, but it makes for a soft end result, too.


They bake up with a lighter color.






Sausage and egg in a pumpkin biscuit for my husband's breakfast.  Sorry the orange tint doesn't show well.  The sun wasn't up and the lighting wasn't the best.


As always, I never leave a recipe exactly as it was written, but this one I follow pretty closely.  Well, kind of.  I'm putting my notes beside the ingredients.

Savory Sweet Potato Biscuits

1 1/4 cup of all purpose flour (plus 1/4 cup or so set aside)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 cup cold mashed sweet potatoes (I cook mine and freeze them in one cup portions, thaw overnight, and then use.  Also a great use for leftover sweet potatoes.)
3 tbsp. of shortening (I use coconut oil or butter)
1/4 cup milk (more or less)

Sift flower, baking powder, and salt.  Cut in fat until crumbly.  Add sweet potatoes.  Mix well, add enough milk to make a soft dough.  Knead several times on a floured board.  Roll and cut biscuits.  Bake at 400F for about 18 to 20 minutes.

Now for additional notes --
Sweet potato water content varies so this is a soft dough.  I often add a little extra flour to get the right consistency.  I like coconut oil in these, but I have used other fats based on what I had on hand. In fact, sunflower oil can be used, but will slightly change texture...not bad -- just different.

1 comment:

Due to a large volume of spamming I’ve had to undo the “anyone” can comment feature. Hoping this lets all of us not have to wade through the hoopla.

Winnie the Pooh Crochet Along Playlist

 Just popping this on here really quick for those that contacted me and asked for help. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDY94ekqubPTj...