Monday, November 21, 2016

Plodding Along

Last week is such a blur I am having a hard time distinguishing one day from the next.
I had to pull out my planner to remind me of what we did and when.

It was an unusual week in that my husband was home every night.  We cooked from supplies all week and did not go to the grocery store at all.  In fact, I stayed in all week.  I didn't do anything beyond the usual household savings things, but I also didn't do anything to the detriment of the budget either.  (I have started Christmas shopping, but that was allowed for.)

Mid week I had two guests for lunch and I kept things quite simple.  I made a huge pot of vegetable soup and I served it with crackers and sweet tea.  They were in town for doctor's appointments and it was an "eat and run" kind of visit, so this meal was perfect. I didn't know exactly what time they would make it so the crockpot kept it warm for me.  (The bonus was I had enough soup left for the next day.)

After my success with a cream of mushroom type sauce, I decided I really needed to try again with a cream of chicken white sauce.  I used a mixture of cornstarch, soy milk, vegan butter, and poultry seasonings to create the base for this casserole.  It is a simple broccoli, rice and chick'n casserole.  I topped it with a crumbled flax and wheat roll I had baked earlier in the week. 




My husband really enjoyed this one. I think I would do just a little more tweaking on the seasonings, but the texture was a success.  (I'll add more onion powder, garlic powder, and poultry seasoning next time.)


I'm still working on school work and I am down to one more unit after this week. 
Sunday we opted to take the night off.
We had an "at home" date night and watched a couple of documentaries on Netflix.
I cooked a simple meal.  Rice seasoned with salsa (because I had rice precooked in the fridge.) Leftover broccoli because I had more than I needed for the casserole. Onion rings because he loves them and I had a few in the freezer waiting to be cooked.  Bean burritos because I love them.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to a large volume of spamming I’ve had to undo the “anyone” can comment feature. Hoping this lets all of us not have to wade through the hoopla.

Winnie the Pooh Crochet Along Playlist

 Just popping this on here really quick for those that contacted me and asked for help. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDY94ekqubPTj...