Friday, January 13, 2017

Free Food Preservation

 
My husband came in and his first words were, "I know the timings bad, but...."  All I could think was what now...lol
Turns out someone had given him a large bag of apples.
 
I knew I would not be able to can them alone, but with the three of us working together we managed to get them put away.
 
My daughter brought in the canner and the canning supplies.
We got the jars going and then I sat at the island and we worked on the apples.  She cut and I cored.  Everything went into the pressure cooker, along with some water, spices and coconut sugar.
8 minutes in the pressure cooker (once they came up to pressure)
 
Then my husband mostly drained the apples and I pureed them with an immersion blender.  (I saved the liquid and sealed it in a jar.  It will be used to make "apple syrup" for pancakes.)
 
We ended up with 5 pints of apple butter and the pint of "apple juice" that I will thicken with cornstarch when we use it.  We also saved out a small bowl of apple butter to use now.
 
A little family cooperation and nothing was wasted!
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. You will require a place that is cool, dull, dry, and outfitted with racking. These can be produced using wood, plastic, or metal as long as they can hold the weight you put on them, you don't need your containers or jars to arrive up on the floor, nor should boxes or nourishment by and large be put away at ground level. ginnos cameron texas menu

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I had to choose between resting and reading this blog, I’d definitely go with this blog.
    hamilton beach flexbrew

    ReplyDelete

Due to a large volume of spamming I’ve had to undo the “anyone” can comment feature. Hoping this lets all of us not have to wade through the hoopla.

Winnie the Pooh Crochet Along Playlist

 Just popping this on here really quick for those that contacted me and asked for help. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDY94ekqubPTj...