Monday, January 30, 2017

Ham Dish #1 -- Hash brown and Ham Bake

The other day I posted about the meals I would make using the ham and I said I would share the recipes.  This is the first meal using 1 cup of the ham.

 My sister and her boyfriend have a family and friends brunch on Sunday mornings.  My contribution this week is a hash brown and ham bake -- aka breakfast casserole -- and some orange zest muffins.

  I like this casserole recipe for two reasons.  First and foremost, you prep it the night before and leave it in the refrigerator until morning.  I can let the oven preheat while I drink a cup of coffee and then once the casserole is in the oven I can shower and get ready.  Second of all, I love that it used dried hash brown shreds.  I like to keep some in my food storage and this is a great way to use them up.

 Hash brown and Ham Bake (Makes a 9 x 13 pan) (This must be refrigerated a minimum of 5 hours for the potatoes to rehydrate.  Overnight is great.)

 Grease your pan and set aside.

 In a large bowl mix:
 6 cups of dried potato shreds
1 cup of diced ham (I minced my cubes a little smaller.)
3/4 cup of diced bell pepper (Any color will work, but the green pops!)
1 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese (You'll need a second cup for the topping.)

Spread this out evenly in your pan.

In the same bowl you just used, whisk the following:
3 cups of milk (I use reconstituted powdered milk that has been chilled.)
1/2 to 3/4 tsp. Of onion powder (I do this since my daughter won't eat onions, but you could easily add some diced onion when you add the bell pepper.)
4 large eggs
1 cup of Bisquick (Homemade works fine.)

Pour this evenly over the potatoes.
 At this point I mash them down to make sure all the potatoes are covered.

Spread 1 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese on top.
Cover and refrigerate for at least 5 hours or overnight.  

In the morning, preheat the oven to 375 F.  Set the casserole on the counter to begin to warm up while it is preheating -- to avoid shattering the dish.  Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.  Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.

The recipe says it makes 12 servings and I am believe that is about right.  6 of us ate about half a pan -- with muffins and fresh fruit to round the meal out.

       

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you. I made a basic sweet muffin and added some orange zest. (The last time I canned oranges I dried some of the peels.) Then I made a bit of glaze with orange juice and powdered sugar.

      Delete

Due to a large volume of spamming I’ve had to undo the “anyone” can comment feature. Hoping this lets all of us not have to wade through the hoopla.

Winnie the Pooh Crochet Along Playlist

 Just popping this on here really quick for those that contacted me and asked for help. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDY94ekqubPTj...