Thursday, March 2, 2017

Cookbook Challenge

One of the things that I always have niggling in the back of my mind the question of how to best use my food storage.  Since Kimmy, of She's in Her Apron, issued a "fall in love with your cookbooks" challenge, I thought I would dig out a food storage cookbook.


This cookbook is a little different than my usual cookbooks.  The basic premise of this book is that the meals use "nothing fresh or frozen, and no water."  (Page 1 of 100 Day Pantry)  However, in the spirit of true food storage and frugality I am going to alter the recipe for Chicken Taco Soup.


(You'll notice I had already written a note to use black beans instead of ranch beans.)

So what am I using?


1 jar of my homecanned chicken
1 cup of dehydrated corn (because I have a #10 can open)
A jar of salsa
2 cups of homemade chicken broth
1 jar of home canned cranberry beans
1 chipotle pepper
Garlic, because it makes everything taste better
1 or 2 teaspoons of cumin
1 cup of whole wheat pasta
1/2 cup of water, because I added dried corn


I'm dumping it all in the Intant Pot and cooking it for 9 minutes.


Serving with shredded cheese and crackers for a quick "girls' day lunch."




 

8 comments:

  1. Oh wow, that looks so good. I like that cookbook. I have new one to me, which is Dining on a Dime from the Living on a Dime website. So far I like what I'm seeing in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Let me know how you like the cookbook.

      Delete
  2. I haven't ever seen that cookbook before! I'll have to see if my library has it or can get it since it looks pretty interesting. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it by fluke. I like it because sometimes when we are traveling it is much more convenient to grab cans of things and a crockpot. They're not fancy meals. However, like this one -- they lend themselves well to adding some bread and a quick salad to round them out.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks. It was really good. The salsa was a lime and chipotle salsa and I hadn't tried it before.

      Delete
  4. That looks very good! I think recipes are just supposed to be suggestions anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks....your comment makes me think of the "Pirate's Code" ...lol

      Delete