Friday, July 21, 2017

Pickling, Baking, Shopping, and Plumbing?

What do pickling, baking, shopping, and plumbing have in common?

That is how I spent my Thursday.

Mama gave me enough squash to try a small batch of squash pickles.
If they taste as good as the brine did, they'll be great.


She also brought me enough cucumbers to make a small batch.
In the past, I've had limited success with homecanned pickles.
My freezer pickles are great, but the canned ones are so so at best.
This time I tried a new to me recipe that used a different technique than I've been using.
Hopefully these will be good, too.


My husband's birthday was earlier this week, but we decided in advance to wait and celebrate at the end of the week.
I started his favorite hamburger steak in the crockpot.
For dessert, he requested apple pie.
I'm afraid I am horrible at pretty crusts, but they usually taste good.


In the mix of all this, someone came to fix the guest bathroom toilet.
It had started to lightly run water all the time.
While he was here he snaked the upstairs bathtub drain for me.

I also ran out to pick up groceries -- we didn't need much.
I had to have more sugar for canning and some onions for the pickles.
The rest was just to replace things we had used up over this month.

And that is how I spent the bulk of my day.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmm....apple pie! I love pickles, but I remember my mom getting frustrated with her pickles not staying crisp. They had really great flavor, though. I hope your new recipe is a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love pickles, too. I don't want to add tons of chemically stuff to them to keep them crisp. Amusingly my freezer pickles taste fabulous. I may have to get brave and just seal my jars without water bathing them.

      Delete

Due to a large volume of spamming I’ve had to undo the “anyone” can comment feature. Hoping this lets all of us not have to wade through the hoopla.

Winnie the Pooh Crochet Along Playlist

 Just popping this on here really quick for those that contacted me and asked for help. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDY94ekqubPTj...