Monday, July 10, 2017

Weekend and Watermelon

Over the weekend, we went to visit family and had a wonderful time.  We managed to keep the trip pretty frugal so that was an added bonus.  

 My week is shaping up to be quite busy, but I had to take time today to process a few items for the food storage.  We bought a huge, home grown watermelon this weekend.  1/2 of the rind made 3 quarts of pickles.  (I canned the other jar of brine to use either with dressings or perhaps to make some refrigerator pickles using cucumbers.)  Then I used 6 cups of the flesh pureed to make watermelon jelly.  I ended up with 10 jars.


4 comments:

  1. I've had watermelon rind pickles before, when I was a girl, and like them. I've never had watermelon jelly/jam. Interesting:)

    Today, I am cleaning my food storage cupboard. It's a mess! It's looking so much better now, and I've even got a bunch of things off of the floor. Still a long ways to go, but I probably will move on to another thing soon, and come back to this another day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first go at the watermelon jelly. We'll see how it turns out.

      I need to straighten our cupboards, too. I'm just trying to use up and amusingly right now there is a method to my chaos. I'm sitting items I want to use up first on the front so everything looks highly disoraganized.

      Delete
  2. I am not a big fan of watermelon rind pickles but I have only had them once and they could have just been a bad version of them. The watermelon jelly looks really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are pretty simple in flavor. The brine simply has vinegar, sugar, and a hit of cinnamon from cinnamon sticks. I'm hoping they'll store well.

      Delete

Due to a large volume of spamming I’ve had to undo the “anyone” can comment feature. Hoping this lets all of us not have to wade through the hoopla.

Winnie the Pooh Crochet Along Playlist

 Just popping this on here really quick for those that contacted me and asked for help. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDY94ekqubPTj...