Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Quiet Days (Recipe and Product Review)

Yesterday was a quiet day. 
We spent it at home doing some general work, as we get ready for fall weather.



I canned 4 quarts of vegetarian lentil soup.
I worked on another doily and starched some crosses that had been ordered.
We did some light house work.


My husband called me late in the afternoon and surprised me by saying he was coming home for the night.
In fact, he was already in route.
I hadn't officially planned a meal because my daughter had half a pizza left.
I had decided I would just pull together either a bowl of cereal or a fried egg wrap for myself.

Times like that, impromptu meals, are one of the reasons I like having canned goods on hand.
I pulled out a pint of corn, a pint of cabbage, and perused the refrigerator to see what we had open.




The corn went into gluten free corn fritters.  
These were delicious.  
My pithy un-recipe is as follows:

3/4 cup of gluten free flour mix (I used Namaste brand.)
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 egg
2 tablespoons of oil
Milk to make  a decent batter.

1 pint of sweet corn, drained well
Add to batter.
(Oh, I added a dash of black pepper, too.)

Fry on medium heat until done in middle.


While they were cooking I simmered the cabbage.
A quick addition of some pickles rounded off the meal.
A simple, peasant supper if you will, but delicious none the less.


After we ate, we rode out and gassed up all the vehicles.
He wanted to drive across town and treat our daughter to a doughnut...a tradition they share.
Of course, there is nothing at a doughnut shop we needed.
When we got home I used an Aldi gluten free cake mix to make a batch of cupcakes.
They weren't perfect looking, but the taste and texture were pretty good.
I think if I were making them over again I would have divided into 15 to 18 muffins instead of the 12 it called for.

I did make a mental note for future reference that these would be great with pineapple and/or strawberries and whipped cream.
They would also be good with a teaspoon of jam in the middle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to a large volume of spamming I’ve had to undo the “anyone” can comment feature. Hoping this lets all of us not have to wade through the hoopla.

Winnie the Pooh Crochet Along Playlist

 Just popping this on here really quick for those that contacted me and asked for help. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDY94ekqubPTj...