Monday, June 4, 2018

Frugal Happenings for the Last Week of May

Sunday May 27
  • I decided this would be the perfect week to only cook from what we had on hand.  I made one exception and picked up some lettuces for salads.  In keeping with that plan, I made up a menu.
  • I baked gluten free chocolate chip cookies and froze half the dough in a log for future use.  I used up two partial bags of chocolate chips in this recipe.
  • We pulled "yellow sticker" ribs from the freezer and cooked them in the crockpot with BBQ sauce I bought in bulk (and froze) some time back.  I served it with rice (from food storage).  For veggie sides we had slaw (cabbage from CSA box) and tomato slices (from same box).
  • I washed and hung laundry to dry.
  • I wanted Memorial Day themed stickers for my planner and used the computer/printer to make my own.
Monday May 28
  • I cooked 28 waffles and froze what wasn't eaten for breakfast.  These will last a couple of weeks and give my daughter quick, easy breakfasts/snacks.
  • I used up 2 bananas and some lingering raisins to make a dozen muffins for my husband to take with him.  He'll put these in the freezer and take them out as needed.
  • I had 5 lingering apples that became a pint and about a cup of applesauce.
  • I used the crockpot to cook hamburger steak -- it was too rainy to grill out.
  • Lunch was hot dogs, squash from our CSA box, and a tin of Aldi pork n beans that I doctored into baked beans.  We used up 4 lingering hot dog buns.  (I ate mine without a bun.)
  • I moved my potted plants outdoors for a free drink.
  • I bought lettuce for the week.  I was going to buy organic, but it looked horrible.  Instead I picked up "regular" and for two heads spent $2.61.
Tuesday May 29
  • Physical therapy day and since I was going by Goodwill anyway I decided to stop.  
  • I found a couple of shirts and a dress for myself.
  • I ran the dryer for a load of towels....not frugal, but I hate stiff towels.
  • We're working on using up bits and pieces from the fridge.  Tonight's supper will be fried rice instead of the risotto I had planned.  
Wednesday May 30 
  • I baked a cake. 
  • We had family over for supper.  I cooked a simple casserole and made a garden salad for the side.
Thursday May 31
  • I made crockpot mac and cheese.  Kept the house cooler.  My sister came over to eat with me, and we had a good visit.  
  • My daughter picked up our CSA box.
  • We attended our watercolor art class and I really enjoyed it.
Friday June 1
  • I inventoried the freezer and picked up what few groceries we needed.  
Saturday June 2
  • We went to TJ Maxx and I bought a couple of huge floppy summer hats.  Thanks to medication any time I step outside I am frying.  
  • I checked out three cookbooks and a book on CD from the library.
  • We went to the Town Common and walked.
  • Not so frugal, but planned.... special shampoo for my hair.
  • We had a quiet family night at home.
That is it.  A relatively quiet and relatively frugal week.




4 comments:

  1. Don't you love it when your meals for the week use what you have instead of having to buy more? I don't count having to buy salad fixings as a meal purchase. Great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had a great week using the things you had on hand. I, on the other hand, seem to be buying up the stores lately! I am gathering things for upcoming events, and there are many. I am enjoying all the graduation events, birthday parties, and so forth, but will be happy to settle back into the mundane when this crazy season is past, with lots of pictures and memories to remember them by:)

    Yesterday, I spent several hours cooking. I froze several items that will help out tremendously in this busy, busy couple of weeks, and also now have the fridge full of easy to grab and eat items.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a very good week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a productive week! The YouTube channel is awesome - I really enjoy watching all your videos! You look great and it seems like you are really on the mend! ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete

Due to a large volume of spamming I’ve had to undo the “anyone” can comment feature. Hoping this lets all of us not have to wade through the hoopla.

Winnie the Pooh Crochet Along Playlist

 Just popping this on here really quick for those that contacted me and asked for help. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDY94ekqubPTj...