Monday, January 18, 2016

Homemade English Muffins



From the library I checked out the cookbook Miserly Meals by Jonni McCoy. These were an attempt at her English muffin recipe. I am not certain, but I think there may be a typo in the recipe. It took considerably more flour to make a dough I could handle.  I know it isn't unusual for a recipe to require varying amounts of flour, but I used not quite a cup more.  However, these muffins were a hit with my family.

English Muffins by Jonni McCoy with my notes in parentheses)

1 cup milk (I used water and powdered milk)
1 1/2 tbsp. of dried yeast (I used 2 1/2 tsps quick yeast)
1 tsp. Sugar (I added two)
1/4 cup butter melted
2 cups flour (I ended up with closer to three)
1 tsp. Salt

Do the usual mix, knead, rise until double, etc. shape into circles about 1 1/2" thick. 
Let rise again for 20 to 30 minutes. Cook one side at a time on a hot skillet. (5 to 8 minutes each side)

My notes -- I am babysitting most days and I want home baked, but need easy. I put it all in the bread machine on dough cycle. At the end I let it rest five minutes and then I patted it out to about 1 1/2"  thick on a floured surface and used the biscuit cutter to cut them out. I let them rise, covered for about 30 minutes. I then cooked mine on a griddle, 8 minutes per side. I ended up with 12 English muffins.

When I make these again I will pay closer to 1", but beyond that these were a hit. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to a large volume of spamming I’ve had to undo the “anyone” can comment feature. Hoping this lets all of us not have to wade through the hoopla.

Winnie the Pooh Crochet Along Playlist

 Just popping this on here really quick for those that contacted me and asked for help. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDY94ekqubPTj...