Friday, November 3, 2017

Weekend Plans

We have guests coming in next week, and my plan had been to take care of a few details this weekend.
However, you know what they say about best laid plans....lol
The weather is supposed to be beautiful so we will spend our time painting.
No big deal....I’ll do the bulk of the work I wanted to do at the house today and next Monday.
I’m reserving Tuesday for grocery shopping and a final scrub of all the bathrooms.
Wednesday morning I’ll do the last minute fresh linens and some baking.
By Wednesday midday we should have the first arrivals.

So with the change of plans I altered the menu slightly.
Instead of white lasagna, I decided to do a tomato based one.

Tonight’s supper is now lasagna, which is sitting in the refrigerator waiting to be baked.
This is what I refer to as “use it up” lasagna.
My noodles were getting near their experation date.  Food waste is bad on any budget.
Plus, anyone who buys gluten free products knows they aren’t inexpensive — so wasting them hits hard.

 From the fridge I had some items to use up:
3/4 or so of a container of ricotta cheese
2/3 of a bag of shredded mozzarella
A bowl of leftover pizza sauce (homemade)
A bowl of steamed veg (broccoli/cauli/carrot/squash)


From the freezer:
The last pound of my frozen ground turkey from Zaycon

Then from food storage:
An onion lingering on the counter
Some Dollar Tree mushroom slices
1 can of Italian seasoned tomatoes
Two eggs to help the ricotta stretch

I put together a simple lasagna, but I didn’t have quite enough sauce.
The can of Italian seasoned diced tomatoes worked perfectly.
I just dumped them on top and sprinkled with cheese to finish it off.

I have actually stuck to the menu plan all week!
Next week all bets are off though because we will have a lot more input and mouths to feed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to a large volume of spamming I’ve had to undo the “anyone” can comment feature. Hoping this lets all of us not have to wade through the hoopla.

Winnie the Pooh Crochet Along Playlist

 Just popping this on here really quick for those that contacted me and asked for help. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDY94ekqubPTj...