Monday, November 27, 2017

Frugal Thanksgiving Week

Sunday    
  • We invited my sister and her boyfriend over for supper.  I kept it simple with a one pot meal.  Beef roast with the usual fixings.  I baked a cake to go with the meal.  (The entire meal came from supplies I had on hand.). I had enough to send leftovers home with them for the next day’s lunch and pack lunch for my husband.
  • We turned in 3 printer cartridges to Staples for recycling and got a few dollars added to our account.
  • I checked out 4 cookbooks from the library, as well as some reading material.
  • We took out extra through blankets to leave in the living room for when the nights get colder.
  • My electric bill for double the space was actually less than my husband’s bill this month.  Gloating rights!  Haha!
Monday
  • I finished up most of our Christmas shopping.  I have to do stocking stuffers and closer to time the gifts for my husband’s work, but all the big stuff is finished.  I took advantage of free shipping on items going across country and shipped them directly.
  • I went thrift store shopping for winter sweaters for myself.  Post here.
  • We paid via direct debit for my daughter’s next semester.  This saves us the fees the school charges.
  • I ordered one of her text books online for a savings of $130.
Tuesday 
  • I hung laundry on the drying rack to dry.
  • I cooked a whole chicken with plans for a casserole for the leftovers and used the pressure cooker to cook it.
  • I made homemade “mounds” using ingredients I had on hand...and put several in the freezer for later.
  • We wanted a “mocha” and opted to make our own. 
Wednesday 
  • My husband treated my daughter to a fast food chicken biscuit.  They used a B1G1 coupon.  I made us coffee at home.  (I’m avoiding fast food so I just grabbed some leftovers from the fridge.)
  • We picked up the last official Christmas gift at a “pre-Black Friday” sale.
  • I cooked a pumpkin cheesecake using free ingredients.  Festive and no waste so a win win!
  • I cooked our ham in the pressure cooker, reducing the amount of energy used.
Thursday
  • We did the usual family stuff.  We carpooled in one car and we ate leftovers for supper.
Friday
  • We stayed home...no shopping, no anything.  A quiet day at home.  I cooked homemade crackers — gluten free crackers are not inexpensive and I cannot find cheese crackers in the stores.  These were easy to make and a hit.
  • I used the pressure cooker to cook spaghetti squash.  I cooked double for the meal so we would have enough for two days worth since we knew we would be painting on Saturday.
Saturday 
  • We continued to work on our painting.  
Not bad on the frugal front all things considered.

5 comments:

  1. Glad you had a nice frugal Thanksgiving weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "My electric bill for double the space was actually less than my husband’s bill this month"-can you clarify this? I feel that I missed something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a small place in the area where we both grew up. He works in that area and stays there during the week because commuting distance is so far. It is about half the size of our house. This month the electric bill for the house was actually less than “his” electric bill.

      Delete
  3. Got it, thanks for clearing that up, I was confused!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that. I just was rambling along typing as it was going through my head.

      Delete

Due to a large volume of spamming I’ve had to undo the “anyone” can comment feature. Hoping this lets all of us not have to wade through the hoopla.

Winnie the Pooh Crochet Along Playlist

 Just popping this on here really quick for those that contacted me and asked for help. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDY94ekqubPTj...