Sunday, May 20, 2018

Frugal Happenings Week Week 3 May 18

Sunday
  • We ate leftovers for lunch.
  • We watched a movie using the Roku/internet.
Monday
  • I used a single lingering hamburger bun to make my husband a bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich for breakfast.
  • I was able to use an online service to avoid having to go out to pay a bill.
  • I baked oatmeal bars using supplies I had on hand.
Tuesday
  • I cooked a turkey roast in the crockpot. I reheated leftover rice to go with it, made some gravy using the broth, and sautéed the last of our asparagus.  We had enough leftovers for the next day.  A low energy kind of day.
  • My husband was traveling so I cooked him a hearty breakfast before he left and packed him coffee to go.  Far healthier and much more frugal than eating on the road.
  • We had popcorn for a snack.
Wednesday
  • This was not a no spend day.  We actually shopped at three stores.
    • at Michaels we bought supplies for our art class and some small planner supplies for my daughter.  These were bought with a combination of coupons and sales.
    • at Marshalls (which is doing a grand opening week) we found my daughter several work appropriate tops.  On Tuesday we went through her wardrobe and determined what we thought she needed to supplement her current summer wardrobe.  We also bought me two pairs of shoes.  One pair of leather loafers that were regularly $65 and on sale for $40 and one pair of black dress sandals that were on sale, but I cannot remember the exact price as I am typing.  All of my summer shoes were either heels or wedges and I don't foresee me wearing them this summer.  I will be keeping my eyes out for one more pair of sandals.
    • at Ulta I bought a hair dryer to replace one that died.  I also bought new foundation.  My skin has changed -- I don't know if it is a result of the weather, hormones, or my new medication.  Either way my old foundation isn't working.  The new one I've chosen is more expensive, but I dont have to add a separate SPF so I'm going to go with it for now. I will be keeping my eyes open for any coupons Clinique might offer though.  I also bought eyeliner.  My daughter picked up a bottle of nail polish.
  • When we got home we treated ourselves to home pedicures.
  • We made a trip to the library (with my husband) in the evening and I checked out some large print mysteries to read.  I also checked out a cookbook to read for inspiration.
  • We needed to replace a toilet seat and took advantage of Lowes 10% military discount to reduce the cost slightly.
Thursday
  • My daughter and I attended an art class together.  We were able to share most of our supplies helping keep the cost down. 
Friday
  • We had a huge weekend planned with family events and out of state guests coming in.  I had physical therapy and some shopping that had to be done.  
  • We picked up some items for the weekend.  Going from feeding two to six for a few days requires some adjustments.  We also pulled together some gift baskets for the youngest children, and I bought some crafting supplies.
  • By the time we made it home midday I was exhausted.  We put supper in the crockpot.  I did bake a cake -- using a mix and canned frosting from my pantry.  Not my first preference, but everyone enjoyed it.
Saturday
  • My contribution to the family dinner was two crockpots of macaroni and cheese. This was the easiest dish for me to make and I really appreciate them letting me do that part.  
We didn't have a low spend week.  Nothing too outrageous and pretty much everything that was spent was on the calendar so we knew it was all coming....no shocks so to speak.  

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a great week. It's great that you could get the craft supplies that you needed for good prices. I'm on the hunt for craft kits to use with my niece,nephew and daughter as activities this summer. I got a few from the dollar store, and want to get more from JoAnn's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome. I was so sad when our JoAnn’s closed. I loved going in there to see what they had.

      Delete
  2. Looks like another great and frugal week, Shara. I love that you used a lone hamburger bun to make your dh a sandwich for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete

Due to a large volume of spamming I’ve had to undo the “anyone” can comment feature. Hoping this lets all of us not have to wade through the hoopla.

Winnie the Pooh Crochet Along Playlist

 Just popping this on here really quick for those that contacted me and asked for help. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDY94ekqubPTj...