Summer days are fast approaching and in the South that means hot weather is on the horizon.
In the sewing challenge one of the items we could make was a pair of dress pants or slacks.
I asked for, and received, permission to substitute dress shorts and everyone was fine with that.
In my area, a pair of longer shorts made of a dressier fabric and a nice top can be worn almost anywhere.
In keeping with my personal challenge to myself I used this as an opportunity to expand my skills.
These shorts are made with a bottom weight cotton with a bit of stretch.
I cut out one size and graded down the hips to the next size.
I still kept them loose enough because my personal preference is slightly looser dress pants.
These have my first ever attempt at a mock fly and zipper.
The cost wasn't horrible on these. I actually found the fabric on clearance at JoAnn's.
It was the end of the bolt and there wasn't any more to be found.
However, there was a perfect amount for shorts for me.
The thread, zipper, and pattern all came from my stash.
Total I have less than $7.00 in a custom fit pair of shorts, so not too bad.