Monday, December 18, 2017

Sometimes You Just Have To


One family tradition that I miss since developing food allergies is having doughnuts on the weekend.
If the crowd was here we would buy a dozen.
If just a few of us were here, we might only buy 2 or 3 doughnuts.
Either way, it was something we did as a family.
For some time now I have sat and watched them eat their doughnuts.  
Not a big deal, but I really wanted one, too.

Today I made these.  
Old fashioned glazed doughnuts
They’re a yeast free, cake type doughnut with just a hint of nutmeg.
Sooooo good!

The recipe is from Nicol Hunn.
It is in the book Gluten Free on a Shoestring Quick and Easy.

I have all of her cookbooks, and can honestly say I’ve never had one of her recipes let me down.
In fact, even those who don’t like/have to eat gluten free seem to like them.

As usual, I did make a few changes to her recipe because for one I am that kind of cook, and for two I am into using what I have on hand.  I did not have plain yogurt, but I did have cottage cheese.  I simply took 3/4 of a cup out and proceeded to mostly mash the lumps out of it.  I also didn’t want mini doughnuts.  I used my regular non stick doughnut pans in a 350F oven.  I started with 12 minutes, but ended up cooking them for 15 total.  The final change I made was to make a simple thin glaze because I really love that Krispy Kreme glazed feel and taste.  

Even my pickiest household member with texture issues really liked these.


4 comments:

  1. I wonder if you set the cottage cheese thru the food processor, if it wouldn't have become a creamy, yogurty smooth product

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it probably would have....I confess I just grabbed the fork I had taken out to lightly beat the egg and handed it to my daughter. LOL

      Delete
  2. I was wondering if you ever thought of changing the structure of your blog?
    Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.
    But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect with it better.
    Youve got an awful lot of text for only having one or 2 images.

    Maybe you could space it out better?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm — well truth be told, I am kind of a word person. LOL. I love words, love to read, and love to write....far more than I love taking photographs. However, I will take your advice to mind and see what I can come up with. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete

Due to a large volume of spamming I’ve had to undo the “anyone” can comment feature. Hoping this lets all of us not have to wade through the hoopla.

Winnie the Pooh Crochet Along Playlist

 Just popping this on here really quick for those that contacted me and asked for help. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDY94ekqubPTj...