Sunday, December 10, 2017

First Week of December Frugalities

The first week of December came and went.  It is both disconcerting and comforting how quickly time passes. Sunday — plans to take our grandson home fell through.  Mom is on the mend, but still not quite there.  My plans required a little tweaking.  We had a brunch using items on hand.  Lunch was a mix of leftovers and fresh veggies.  In continuing with my use it up plan, I pulled a partial container of quinoa out to serve as our grain.
 

Then during the afternoon we went out to run errands.  We dropped off a printer cartridge for recycling at Staples.  I went into Dollar Tree and purchased Christmas cards for an exchange and 5 small red baskets.  These baskets were for the pantry and hold lunch box type supplies like fruit cups, pudding cups, etc.  Next on our list was the library.  I checked out 4 cookbooks, which I have already flipped through.  Sadly other than maybe 2 or 3 recipes there was very little content I am even interested in trying.  My husband checked out a book on CD for his commute time.  On our way back home, we stopped at Krispy Kreme and picked up 3 of the Santa Belly doughnuts as a treat for my grandson and daughter.



We finished off the day with Netflix, video games, and air popped popcorn, which I think is about as frugal as snacks come.  


Monday
My husband had an early morning doctor’s appointment.  I packed his lunches, etc for him to pick up on his way out of town.
I managed to get in a short morning walk — frugal when I compare poor health costs to taking the time to take care of myself.
We started our meals for the pinto bean thread....everything we used was pantry stable so that is a nice dish to add to our rotation.
We took advantage of the pretty day to play outside.

Tuesday
I registered for classes.  By maintaining good grades in my previous classes I received an award of $250 off tuition (with a few stiputlations that I would have met for my own satisfaction anyway) and an additional one time 10% off tuition.  As a result, I have opted to take 15 hours over spring semester.  Things will be super busy, but doable.  Between the two I will be getting a few semester hours free.  

I pulled through the refrigerator and made a stir fry of sorts for supper to help take care of a few lingering tidbits.  On the frugal fail front, I opened a box of baking mix that made horrible muffins.  The texture was off and they weren’t edible.  I tossed them out.

Wednesday 
I cooked a pound of pinto beans in the pressure cooker for energy savings.  I hung laundry to dry.  We continued to use up things in the refrigerator and planned our meal around that. My husband came home for the evening and we had a quiet night of movies and games.

Thursday and Friday 
These days were both rainy days.  We did head out briefly to Hobby Lobby, where I picked up 3 skeins of yarn on sale.  I’m working on a scarf.    



 Thursday night we ordered pizza.  I had enough rewards to get it for all but free.  None of us felt bad, but we were just kind of unenergetic.  Friday night’s meal was a homemade hamburger helper using pantry supplies and ground beef bought on sale.  I divided the package into two meals and stretched them with added beans.

Saturday
Plans were to take my grandson home, but weather didn’t cooperate.  I made a double batch of chocolate chip waffles for breakfast — plenty left for into the next week.  We spent the day at home, played games, and baked sugar cookies.  Perfect day for baking because the oven added heat.  I did run two loads of laundry and opted to use the dryer for added heat, too.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to a large volume of spamming I’ve had to undo the “anyone” can comment feature. Hoping this lets all of us not have to wade through the hoopla.

Winnie the Pooh Crochet Along Playlist

 Just popping this on here really quick for those that contacted me and asked for help. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDY94ekqubPTj...