Tuesday, December 5, 2017

1 of 12 — Mediterranean Pinto Bean and Rice Soup

Meal 1 of 12 for the 12 Days of Pintos

For ease of recipe finding for everyone, I’ve decided to try whenever possible to use recipes I find online.
This recipe is the first in our plan.
I’ve revised the recipe slightly to match both the pressure cooker and my daughter’s food preferences.
The original dish is cooked on the stove top.
However, at the end of this post I will share how I would convert this to a slow cooker meal for those who do not use a pressure cooker.
I used the Instant Pot and several of the settings on it, but I am also listing the times for ease of converting to other pressure cookers.


In the pot combine:
1 2/3 cup of dried pintos
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
1/4 cup of dried bell pepper
1/2 teaspoon of minced garlic
4 1/2 cups of water

Hit bean setting and increase time to 50 minutes. 
(Basically high pressure for 50 minutes.)
(I did not soak my beans first, but if you do I would think 30 minutes should work fine.) 
Let pressure drop naturally.

Add:
1 diced potato
3/4 cup of brown rice
1 cup of water
14.5 ounces of diced tomatoes
Salt and pepper to taste

Set pressure cooker for 22 minutes.

Let sit for 10 minutes and then vent.

Serve soup warm.



(My daughter requested no tomatoes, so I heated mine separately and added to my bowl. Also note, our personal preference is a little softer bean.  If you like them less soft, you could decrease the 50 minute cook time because they will be cooking an additional 22 with the rice.)

For my family, with three of us eating this week, this will make at least two meals worth of soup when served with bread.
If there were two of us here, I think I would halve the recipe.

Now for the slowcooker version —

I would put the first ingredient set on in the morning.
Midday add the second half.
I only recommend dividing it because sometimes tomatoes make beans take longer to cook.











3 comments:

  1. You have mentioned very interesting details! ps nice site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed, I have to admit. Seldom do I come across a blog that's both educative and engaging,
    and without a doubt, you have hit the nail on the
    head. The issue is something not enough folks are speaking
    intelligently about. Now i'm very happy that I stumbled across this in my search for something
    relating to this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! In the end I got a web site from where
    I be able to truly get valuable facts regarding my study and knowledge.

    ReplyDelete

Due to a large volume of spamming I’ve had to undo the “anyone” can comment feature. Hoping this lets all of us not have to wade through the hoopla.

Winnie the Pooh Crochet Along Playlist

 Just popping this on here really quick for those that contacted me and asked for help. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDY94ekqubPTj...