Thursday, December 7, 2017

2 of 12 — Chicken, Pinto, and Broccoli Skillet

I know I said we weren’t going to do 12 days of pintos straight.  I promise we haven’t, but when I was searching for meals that I felt like used basic pantry and freezer storage I came across this recipe for Chicken, Broccoli, and Pinto Bean Skillet.  Since I had some fresh broccoli in the refrigerator I decided to give this one a try.  The beauty of using beans to stretch meat appeals to me and the eater always feels like they have had “_______” (whatever meat) and doesn’t really pay much attention to the beans. This is my take on this recipe. I started by cooking 2 cups of pinto beans. I don’t buy canned pintos....not sure why...but they could easily be used in this recipe as called for.  I used the pressure cooker and cooked my beans from dry for 1 hour.  This yielded approximately 5 cups of beans.  I  used two for this meal.



2 cups of beans
1 chicken breast, (I cut strips and then bite sized.)


I omitted the onion and the peanuts.
I had about 3 to 3 1/2 cups of broccoli, that I broke into bite sized pieces.
One red bell pepper cut into chunks
2 carrots in thick “matchsticks” (This was to replace crunch of onions and to bulk this out more.)


I omitted the red pepper flakes because my grandson was eating with us.
I used olive oil instead of bacon grease.
I added onion powder and 1 tablespoon of corn starch to 1/4 cup of liquid aminoes.
(I don’t use soy sauce.)

Cook chicken in a little bit of olive oil.
I used a med/high heat.
When the chicken was done, I added in all the vegetables.
Since I didn’t want a heavy fat content, I let them cook for a few minutes and then added a bit of water.
I covered it and let it briefly steam to finish softening my veggies.
I’m sorry I didn’t record a time.
I just kept checking until they suited me.

I then stirred in the sauce mixture and the beans and let it cook for a couple of minutes.

(While all this was cooking, I cooked rice in the Instant Pot.)


This is my largest frying pan, so don’t be fooled.  
This made a good amount.


This was the finished product all plated up.

The finished yield:
3 adults ate supper
1 toddler ate supper
And I packed two generous lunches with leftovers.


This recipe is a keeper.

Notes:
1.  I think frozen stir fry veggies would work fine.
2.  You could serve this over noodles.
3.  I didn’t add any extra salt or pepper — the sauce was enough.
4.  You could easily use beef, pork, or tofu cubes in this dish.


     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to a large volume of spamming I’ve had to undo the “anyone” can comment feature. Hoping this lets all of us not have to wade through the hoopla.

Winnie the Pooh Crochet Along Playlist

 Just popping this on here really quick for those that contacted me and asked for help. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDY94ekqubPTj...