Sunday, December 3, 2017

Adding to the Pantry

Friday was a beautiful day for us.  While my grandson played in the backyard, I stood at the patio table and chopped red onions.  I had approximately 12 pounds worth.  I set up the dehydrator on the back patio and let them dry.


When it was all said and done I had filled all but 2 trays.


It is hard to tell from the photos, but the yield was just over 7 cups.
I’ve vaccum sealed all but about 1/2 of quart jar.
The jar went into the cabinet to be used now.

A year or so ago I bought a large container of dried onion from Sam’s Club.
Even with me buying additional onions throughout the year and onion powder, my container is almost empty.
I love red onions more than any other so I thought I would try drying my own.

They’re quick to rehydrate if I want them to use them in low liquid dishes, but if I am adding them to soups/stews or things like that I don’t even bother rehydrating first.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to a large volume of spamming I’ve had to undo the “anyone” can comment feature. Hoping this lets all of us not have to wade through the hoopla.

Winnie the Pooh Crochet Along Playlist

 Just popping this on here really quick for those that contacted me and asked for help. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDY94ekqubPTj...