Thursday, August 31, 2017

A New to Me Project

I have had the first two Alabama Chanin books for years.  I would always pull them out and look, but I never tried any of the projects.  After a few days down with a summer cold, I was feeling a bit better and wanted a quiet project.  I really kind of wanted to hang in my recliner, but I felt too good to "do nothing."  A quick perusal of my crafting bookshelf found me thumbing through my books with new interest.  I decided I could pick a hand sewing project, but the rules were I could only use supplies on hand.  Nothing like a good craft room challenge!

9 hours later I finished a fun skirt that I will get a lot of wear from.



We are supposed to attend an art exhibit reception this weekend and I'm going to wear this.

In a way, it was frugal because everything I needed came from supplies, but when I compare it to prices of ordering kits or buying finished pieces from Alabama Chanin -- wowzer!  

Even with 9 hours of labor and materials, I am estimating my skirt would cost about $120.
I opted to not reverse applique my entire skirt because I wanted the red to be an accent, but even if I had, I would estimate I would come in at around $180.

All savings aside, I had the pleasure of making it.  
It is totally a one of a kind piece made especially for me.
That is kind of hard to put a price tag on.

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I love the Alabama Chanin aesthetic and have wanted to try their technique for a while, now.

    ReplyDelete

Due to a large volume of spamming I’ve had to undo the “anyone” can comment feature. Hoping this lets all of us not have to wade through the hoopla.

Winnie the Pooh Crochet Along Playlist

 Just popping this on here really quick for those that contacted me and asked for help. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDY94ekqubPTj...