Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Baking Bread (Product Review)

After much debate and pricing individual flours, I have decided gluten free mixes for bread are the way to go.  The individual flours (some used in tiny amounts) vary greatly in price and in how long lasting (shelf stable) they are.  I cannot find pre-baked gluten free bread other than frozen.  I can certainly use that if need be, but since I also have to watch out for allergens I decided to go with the Namaste brand mix because it is free of the major allergens.  I'm buying this in bulk from Amazon because no one locally carries them. 

 The directions are straight forward. Proof your yeast, which is included.  I did add a teaspoon of sugar because I like to see that the yeast is indeed "alive."    Add oil, eggs, and egg whites.  (Con is there are several egg yolks left over, but I think I will incorporate those into a quiche.). Mix with mixer for 3 minutes.  Let rise at least 30 (in pan) and then bake.  The baking time takes a while, but all in all the bread isn't too bad.  Like all gluten free breads you have to expect the texture to be slightly different.  

Before rising the dough looks like this.  I wasn't able to smooth it perfectly.


The bread was well received by my family.
I specifically baked it for sandwiches.
The next day we used the leftover bread for cheese toast.


The overall verdict on this bread was that it was worth taking the time to bake.

Next time I will probably try running it through the gluten free cycle on my bread machine to see what the results are.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to a large volume of spamming I’ve had to undo the “anyone” can comment feature. Hoping this lets all of us not have to wade through the hoopla.

Winnie the Pooh Crochet Along Playlist

 Just popping this on here really quick for those that contacted me and asked for help. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDY94ekqubPTj...