Monday, August 7, 2017

First Week of August -- The Frugal and the Not So Frugal

The first week of August was a bit of full one.  Our grandson spent the week with us, we had additional guests more nights than not, and my husband brought home a summer cold to share with us all. So here it is -- The Frugal and the Not So Frugal

 1. Due to an increase in laundry I ran the dryer several times.  While this wasn't frugal, we were able to send everyone home with clean laundry and that was nice.

 2.  I spent about $125 on additional grocery and snack items.  The cost sounds high, but again we had larger than normal amount of mouths.  We also needed some quick food items because of the varying schedules for some of our visitors, who were in town for a wedding and all it entailed.  This comes out of our entertainment budget.

 3.  On the frugal front, we took advantage of back to school sales to pick up a few art supplies.

 4.  I used a Target coupon to get $10 back -- I purchased my grandson's fall shirts, socks, and a baseball cap.  I also bought him 3 school workbooks and a puzzle.

 5.  We used a coupon to get a free "icey" drink from McDonalds. 

6.  We paid out hundreds in co-pays for doctors' visits this week.  Yeah.  Not frugal, but better than with no insurance.  We are hoping that they've figured out what is going on with my husband.  I'll update more as time and information presents itself.

 7.  I checked a book out from the library, but haven't had time to read any.

 8.  I crocheted two doilies using patterns that were given to me.

 9.  I've continued to use up supplies whenever I could.  Household cleaners, etc are going down nicely.  I did, however, pick up a few items for canning soup and to fill in a few gaps in the pantry.  I took $87 from the grocery budget to do this.  This also included some additional items the doctor has recommended for both me and my husband.  

 10.  We ate out two meals.  Fast food ironically.  Our guests from out of state don't have access to some of the restaurants we have here.  They love a particular chicken restaurant so one meal came from there and the other was a Krispy Kreme doughnut run. That is it.

It is hard to decide if financially I considered the week to be a win, but I definitely consider it to be a success.  We had wonderful times, hopefully found a course of treatment for my husband, and I had a whole week of spoiling my grandson.  He and I did a lot of free things -- we played in a wading pool, colored pictures, baked snacks, read books, played with board games, and played hide and seek.  


6 comments:

  1. Definitely a success. Hope dh feels better soon. Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Each day he says he is feeling a little stronger, so maybe we are on the right track.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great week. I call any additional food spending when we have guest as an t and e expense rather than taking it out of the grocery budget

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like having a separate "pot" for entertaining and for travel. It makes it easier for me to plan around guests. Sometimes just having convenience foods on hand makes it easier for me to relax and just enjoy the visit, too.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you had a great week, how neat that your grandson was able to stay with you for the whole week. And I would have loved his laundry being clean when he came home. That was so sweet of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks....he kept me busy. The one thing I always sigh about is doing laundry after travel. I always feel like we somehow wear more than we wear in a week at home....lol...his mama was most appreciative and I even managed to run a few odd pieces for them. They left with dirty pajamas and the clothes they had on.

      Delete

Due to a large volume of spamming I’ve had to undo the “anyone” can comment feature. Hoping this lets all of us not have to wade through the hoopla.

Winnie the Pooh Crochet Along Playlist

 Just popping this on here really quick for those that contacted me and asked for help. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDY94ekqubPTj...