Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Childhood Foods Revisited

While my husband and I were drinking our morning coffee, we were reminiscing about favorite elementary school meals.
We both agreed that neither of us had eaten a Sloppy Joe in forever.
I decided to see if I could pull together a slightly more adult version that would meet our dietary restrictions.

I used the bread machine to bake a loaf of gluten free bread.  
I like the results.
(I would love it if I could make a fluffier loaf, but at least this one tastes good and the texture is good.)

For the filling I browned a pound of ground turkey breast with just a little olive oil added to the pan.
Add in:
1/2 of a can (approximately 8 ounces) of tomato sauce
1 package of Red Fork Sloppy Joe Skillet Sauce (This is gluten free.)

Simmer for 10 minutes.



We had open faced sandwiches so we could simply eat them with a fork and knife.

Our verdict was we enjoyed them enough we will be having them again.

(I bought the tomato sauce and the skillet sauce mix at Aldi.  
The ground turkey is from Zaycon.
The bread mix is a Namaste brand and I order mine from Amazon.)

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, that looks good! I have my grandmother's recipe for sloppy joes and it is a family favorite and has been for years. Definitely a childhood food remembered fondly. :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to a large volume of spamming I’ve had to undo the “anyone” can comment feature. Hoping this lets all of us not have to wade through the hoopla.

Winnie the Pooh Crochet Along Playlist

 Just popping this on here really quick for those that contacted me and asked for help. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDY94ekqubPTj...