Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Not All Canning

I love having the freezer full, but fully recognize that the loss of power can make it dangerous to keep all things in the freezer.  I love canning and having things on the shelf.  However, I grew up believing you shouldn't put all your eggs into one basket.  This weekend I took advantage of a sale on bell pepper.  





12 large bell pepper yielded me enough bell pepper pieces for a full quart jar

These will be easy to toss into soups, stews, casseroles, etc.
I can choose to rehydrate them first, or just let the cooking liquid do it.

Since I already had the dehydrator out and on the counter, I decided to dry some mushrooms, too.
Dried mushrooms are my preference over canned.
They seem to add a depth to dishes.
(However, I will eat either and keep both on hand.)

4 comments:

  1. Very nice to have on hand in deed. I like having dried mushrooms on hand for salads, and I love the bell peppers. They are so good and healthy for you too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love soaking mushrooms and using the liquid in gravy. It adds another layer of flavor.

      Delete
  2. I love dehydrating mushrooms, pineapple slices and peaches. I have not had much success with peppers but I grate and dehydrate zucchini and cabbage to toss in soups or casseroles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried drying cabbage and zucchini. Do you do anything to prep them first or just grate and go?

      Delete

Due to a large volume of spamming I’ve had to undo the “anyone” can comment feature. Hoping this lets all of us not have to wade through the hoopla.

Winnie the Pooh Crochet Along Playlist

 Just popping this on here really quick for those that contacted me and asked for help. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDY94ekqubPTj...