Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Renaissance Fair

Tryon Palace, located in New Bern, North Carolina, hosted a Renaissance Fair this past weekend.  We attended and had a great time. There were tons of time appropriate displays and we took far too many photos to share here.  These are a sampling of my favorites.


We attended several musical performances.
There were pirates, who demonstrated sword fighting.
 

There were farm animal displays and a pony ride.
(The turkey was my favorite, but there were lambs, ducks, chickens, and rabbits to name a few things.)


The drum and fife players also did a full performance.
I convinced this kind gentleman to pose for a photo with me.
It was a warm southern kind of day and I have great respect for anyone who could hang in all that wool.
I loved seeing so many men and women in period dress.

In addition to these:
A Shakespeare comedy group
A Celtic Bard
African Slave dances, drum ceremonies, and tent displays
Several military displays with supplies as they would have been.
A family cooking traditional (open fire) Swiss and German dishes
A spinning and weaving display
Various vendors selling local books, food, jewelry, wood working, and things of the sort
Open tours of the stables, the gardens, the Governor's Mansion, the kitchen, etc.

After the fair we headed down to the waterfront and settled under a tree for a picnic.

We had a wonderful time and I would encourage anyone who is traveling through our area to take a tour of Tryon Palace.


4 comments:

  1. What a fun looking trip! I have never been to one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never been to one before either. It was actually quite fun.
      Tryon Palace is near the water and we had a cool breeze and pleasant temps. I love history and it is always fun to see it come to life.

      Delete
  2. We recently went to Camlann Medieval Village in Washington state. Although the exact displays were different, the idea was the same. We had a blast! It was a great living history display for both us and the kids.
    https://beckyathome.wordpress.com/2017/05/08/camlann-medieval-village-homeschool-field-trip/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome! I always learn something I didn't know when I attend things like this.

      Delete

Due to a large volume of spamming I’ve had to undo the “anyone” can comment feature. Hoping this lets all of us not have to wade through the hoopla.

Winnie the Pooh Crochet Along Playlist

 Just popping this on here really quick for those that contacted me and asked for help. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDY94ekqubPTj...