Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Frugal Happennings for week beginning 1/13/19


Sunday
  • My daughter was having internet issues and came over to use ours.  (Hers is finally fixed...intermingling of cable companies was causing issues as the company is having switch over problems -- aka growing pains.)  I pulled some chicken from the freezer and a bottle of barbecue sauce from the pantry.  A can of string beans and a bag of frozen cauliflower rounded out the meal.  (I cooked double and we ate leftovers the next night.)
  • I used the oven to help supplement the heat since this was one of the coldest days we have had.
Monday
  • I was down one day with a migraine....I didn't cook anything and instead ate up the little bits of leftovers in the fridge.  It made for an easier day for me and now my fridge is rid of any lingering foods.
  • I put cold coffee in the refrigerator to have later in the week.
Tuesday
  • I had a dentist appointment and my migraine was still lingering.  Other than the dental exam costs, this was a no spend day.  I continued with just eating what I could scrounge together because the migraine was lingering.
Wednesday
  • My migraine was finally gone.  I spent the day doing "frugal" exercise...aka housework.  LOL  
  • I picked up prescriptions at CVS.  Never truly frugal, but this company is one that works well with my insurance.  They're also near me so I save travel costs.   
  • I mailed a package to my grandson.  The postal service still continues to be less expensive than other delivery services.
  • While I was out running errands I stopped at a FoodLion near the post office.  I rarely go to this store unless I am out that way.  I needed some supplies for my cats.  While I was there I picked up some coffee that was on sale.  I also picked up one package of gluten free ciabatta rolls --never on sale, but these are fabulous, and I can usually make a package of 4 last for a while since I tend to only serve half to each of us.
Thursday
  • My daughter came over for supper -- an impromptu meal of pressure cooker macaroni and cheese was pulled together.  (one of her favorites)
  • We went to a new to us pet supply store.  She needed some items for her cat, and we were able to get them at a discount by signing up for the store rewards program.
  • While we were out we went to Hobby Lobby, too.  I needed one more skein of yarn for the prayer shawl I am working on.  I also needed more red yarn for a sweater I am crocheting.  While we were there I found a small appointment book (purse size) that was missing it's packaging.  The manager couldn't find a price or any more like it, so they sold it to me for $4.99.  This was a substantial savings of somewhere between $20 and $30 depending on where I price them.  This was also something I needed.  While I love my big planner it is too large to carry in my bag.
Friday
  • I stocked up at Lidl using a $40 off of $200.  I bought the fresh items for the week and then shelf stable items for the pantry.  (I also picked up some items to go to my daughter's place.)  I came home with flats of canned veggies, beans, pasta sauce, and various other things.  
Saturday
  • We checked out books from the local library -- including two cookbooks that I am glad I checked out instead of buying because I found them to be quite disappointing.
  • My husband and I shared a fast food salad while we were out.  We have found that we both usually only eat about half so this works well for us.  There was no need to buy two and take home leftovers because I already had prepared extra the night before in anticipation of needing a quick meal Saturday night.
  • We had popcorn for our movie snack (Netflix) in honor of National Popcorn Day.
  • I did laundry and hung a load to dry.

1 comment:

  1. Nice thrifty week. TheHub and I often get one meal and share, especially with some places that have such gigantic portions.

    ReplyDelete

Due to a large volume of spamming I’ve had to undo the “anyone” can comment feature. Hoping this lets all of us not have to wade through the hoopla.

Winnie the Pooh Crochet Along Playlist

 Just popping this on here really quick for those that contacted me and asked for help. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDY94ekqubPTj...