Friday, January 11, 2019

Thrift Store Finds

One of the things I've run into this year -- and some of you have probably also experienced -- is that after all these years some of my kitchen bowls and dishes are either biting the dust or ready to be retired.  One of the upsides to cooking at home is that you use things….the downside is that nothing lasts forever.  In this case, some of my bowls that were older than my children have just outlived their safe usefulness.  After clearing out a lot of things that I didn't use and then clearing out all the items that had reached their "expiration" date, I found myself with very minimal pieces.  Fewer than I was comfortable with.

My last trip to the thrift store didn't yield anything, but today I had to drop off some items from my continued downsizing. Seems odd to talk about downsizing and buying at the same time -- but it all ties back to my theme of purposeful for this year.  The downsized pieces did not serve a purpose for us, and I know someone else can use them.  My finds for today will serve me for years with a little care just like the pieces I had to retire.

For $17 -- less than half of just the cost of the casserole dish new -- I found just enough pieces to replace a small portion of what I cleared out.  I knew I didn't want as many pieces and definitely wanted multi use options from whatever I found.

A Rachel Ray 4.5 quart casserole dish, which was the most expensive piece at $4.99.  I'll use this for casseroles for family dinners and as a serving tray for finger foods.  It also heavy enough to make a great tea and biscuits try.  In my local stores these are ranging anywhere from $40 to $60.  Not a bad savings at all.



A pasta bowl from Italy.  I'll use this for serving almost anything.  They're beautiful not only heaped with pasta, but with a pretty salad or any veggies and fruit.



3 nesting Corelle bowls in a print I love.  These don't even appear to have been used. I'm guessing someone just stuck them in their cabinets.  (I scrubbed the sticker residue off of them kind of thing.)  They're oven and microwave safe so they'll do triple duty.  I can use them for mixing, for baking, and for serving. These are a 1, 2, and 3 quart sized.  (This pattern is discontinued, but online it varies in price.  Amazon has a set listed for $60.)  I may see if I can find more of this set because I really like the pattern.


15 comments:

  1. There's definately a lot to know about this subject.
    I really like all of the points you have made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I simply just say what a comfort to find somebody that
    genuinely knows what they are discussing on the net.

    You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it important.
    A lot more people ought to look at this and understand this
    side of the story. I can't believe you're not more popular since you definitely
    have the gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An interesting discussion is worth comment. I do believe
    that you should publish more on this subject, it may not be a
    taboo matter but typically people don't speak about these subjects.
    To the next! Best wishes!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, I love your new dishes, Shara. Especially the green Rachael Ray one. I would have definitely picked that one up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This website was... how do I say it? Relevant!! Finally I've found something
    which helped me. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, this was an extremely nice post. Taking
    the time and actual effort to produce a top notch article… but what can I say… I
    put things off a whole lot and never seem to get nearly anything done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good info. Lucky me I came across your blog by
    chance (stumbleupon). I've bookmarked it for later!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there! I simply would like to give you a big thumbs up for your
    great information you've got right here on this post. I'll be coming back to your site for more soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’m amazed, I have to admit. Rarely do I encounter a blog that’s equally educative and entertaining,
    and let me tell you, you've hit the nail on the head.
    The issue is something that not enough men and women are speaking intelligently about.
    I am very happy I found this in my search for something concerning this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could not refrain from commenting. Exceptionally well written!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice post. I learn something new and challenging on websites I stumbleupon everyday.
    It will always be helpful to read content from other writers and practice
    something from other web sites.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent article! We are linking to this
    particularly great article on our site. Keep up the good
    writing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really love your website.. Very nice colors & theme.
    Did you make this site yourself? Please reply back as I’m
    looking to create my very own website and would like to find
    out where you got this from or exactly what the theme is named.

    Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. An outstanding share! I have just forwarded this onto a friend who had been conducting a little homework on this.

    And he actually bought me lunch due to the fact that
    I stumbled upon it for him... lol. So allow me to
    reword this.... Thank YOU for the meal!! But yeah, thanks for
    spending some time to talk about this issue here on your web
    site.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A motivating discussion is worth comment. I do believe that you
    should write more about this subject matter, it might not be
    a taboo subject but generally folks don't discuss such
    issues. To the next! Best wishes!!

    ReplyDelete

Due to a large volume of spamming I’ve had to undo the “anyone” can comment feature. Hoping this lets all of us not have to wade through the hoopla.

Winnie the Pooh Crochet Along Playlist

 Just popping this on here really quick for those that contacted me and asked for help. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDY94ekqubPTj...