Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Make and Mend

Last week I picked up a pair of fleece pajama pants from the thrift store.  New fabric is anywhere from $5 a yard and up depending on what I looked at.  Since I was making a cat bed and I also like the idea of repurposing fabric, the thrift store seemed like the logical place to look.  I found a pair of 3X sized pants that had plenty of fabric for what I needed.  The bonus was I paid $1.69 for them.

I already had an old flattened bed pillow that I wanted to use for the insert.  (Due to allergies we don’t use feather pillows and the pillows we buy tend to flatten over time.  There’s nothing wrong with them per say except as they flatten they don’t offer much support.)

Since this was a simple project, I decided to allow myself the pleasure and time of hand sewing it.  It didn’t take long, but if you were in a hurry a sewing machine would make quick work of it.  I simply cut the legs off just below the crotch seem and went to work on sewing the legs closed. I turned it right side out and inserted the pillow.  A quick whip stitch of the elastic waist band finished my casing, but then I decided to do some light hand sewing on the bottom to smooth it out a little where the crotch seam was.  (I did go with whip stitch so when my daughter wants to wash the cover we can easily remove it.  I looked at either buttons or ribbons, but realized the cat would have a field day with those...lol)

A simple cat be doing that cost me less than $2 out of pocket.

Since I already had my needle and thread out, I went ahead and mended a dining chair cushion. The kitty had pulled the tie off. However I am not certain any of them were seen on securely because at this point I think I’ve reattached them all





3 comments:

  1. That is a great use of the fabric from the thrift store pants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kitty loves it! I wasn't sure she would actually use one, so I feel like it is a win-win.

      Delete
  2. I can't figure out a way to do this for you. I'll keep looking.

    ReplyDelete

Due to a large volume of spamming I’ve had to undo the “anyone” can comment feature. Hoping this lets all of us not have to wade through the hoopla.

Winnie the Pooh Crochet Along Playlist

 Just popping this on here really quick for those that contacted me and asked for help. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDY94ekqubPTj...