Friday, April 22, 2016

Frugal Slipper Replacement

My favorite slippers have an unmendable hole, but I have a huge stash of yarn. This pattern is one I learned to knit a million or so years ago.  I still cringe when I hear the 1980s items described as vintage or oldies, but I am pretty sure this basic design has been around longer than that.





I opted to add some crocheted flowers just because I love flowers. I'm also going to hand sew a small piece of elastic across the top to tighten them slightly.  Cost to me -- free because I literally used leftover yarns for the whole project and I will be using those small bits of elastic I have never known what to do with.

4 comments:

  1. These are definitely not vintage :) I know what you mean. I always thought the vintage stuff is like from 1920s or so.
    Growing up I never wore other slippers than the ones my mom would make and they looked pretty much (or very close) to the ones you are making. I didn't like them then (not cool enough) but LOVE them now. Just a bit of growing up ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny how it just takes a bit of growing up. I would love to have my mom make my clothes now and a lot of the things she did when we were growing up.

      1920's -- exactly. That's vintage! :-)

      Delete
  2. My grandma used to make us slippers like those when we were little. I don't know how to knit well enough to make any, but I liked them as a child. Ours were always slick, so we would slide around on hard floors in them--fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are slick...lol. I have played with the idea of trying the fabric paint dots for non slip, but I have a fear of living paint on the floor. Fortunately our stairs are carpeted, even if the downstairs flooring is not.

      Delete

Childhood Foods Revisited

While my husband and I were drinking our morning coffee, we were reminiscing about favorite elementary school meals. We both agreed tha...