Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Red Lentil Pasta Sauce (Vegan Recipe that uses pantry staples)

In an effort to balance my blood sugars I am relying on more dishes that use beans as ingredients.  The mix of protein and carbohydrates they offer seems to help.

This was a new to me recipe, but one that was a hit.  While my daughter doesn't eat tomatoes, my husband and I both loved it.

The recipe is pretty straight forward and I believe credit goes to Robin Robertson, although I cannot remember which book it came from.  The version I am sharing here is exactly what I did and not her exact original.  Not only do I like that it has the lentils, but it also uses ingredients I keep on hand in the pantry.  In a pinch I could easily substitute dried onions and garlic powder for a total pantry meal.  This time I didn't because I had fresh on hand.

I cooked just enough pasta for 4 small servings.  1 larger for my husband for supper, 1 for my supper and 1 for the refrigerator.  I used whole wheat penne, but you could use whatever makes you happy.





Red Lentil Sauce


1 cup of red lentils, picked over and rinsed
2 cups of hot water

Cool until lentils are almost tender.  About 15 minutes or so.

Meanwhile:

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 cup of chopped onions
2 tsps. of minced garlic

Cook the onion and garlic in oil until soft.  I just used a large pan so that I could add the remaining ingredients.

28 oz can of whole tomatoes, break them up with your spoon
1 small can of tomato sauce
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
pepper and salt to suit

Cook on low until you add the lentils.

When the lentils were almost done, I drained them and added them to the sauce.  I turned the heat up slightly and let it simmer while I waited for the pasta to finish cooking.


The only thing I might change would be to increase the garlic slightly.  However, I think this would be a great base to add to it any veggie you liked.  I'm thinking I would have liked to have bell pepper and mushrooms added. 






2 comments:

  1. That sounds like something we'd enjoy! thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. It is surprisingly good and I have been eating along on the leftovers. It reheats well.

      Delete

Childhood Foods Revisited

While my husband and I were drinking our morning coffee, we were reminiscing about favorite elementary school meals. We both agreed tha...