Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Red Lentil Pasta Sauce (Vegan Recipe that uses pantry staples)

In an effort to balance my blood sugars I am relying on more dishes that use beans as ingredients.  The mix of protein and carbohydrates they offer seems to help.

This was a new to me recipe, but one that was a hit.  While my daughter doesn't eat tomatoes, my husband and I both loved it.

The recipe is pretty straight forward and I believe credit goes to Robin Robertson, although I cannot remember which book it came from.  The version I am sharing here is exactly what I did and not her exact original.  Not only do I like that it has the lentils, but it also uses ingredients I keep on hand in the pantry.  In a pinch I could easily substitute dried onions and garlic powder for a total pantry meal.  This time I didn't because I had fresh on hand.

I cooked just enough pasta for 4 small servings.  1 larger for my husband for supper, 1 for my supper and 1 for the refrigerator.  I used whole wheat penne, but you could use whatever makes you happy.





Red Lentil Sauce


1 cup of red lentils, picked over and rinsed
2 cups of hot water

Cool until lentils are almost tender.  About 15 minutes or so.

Meanwhile:

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 cup of chopped onions
2 tsps. of minced garlic

Cook the onion and garlic in oil until soft.  I just used a large pan so that I could add the remaining ingredients.

28 oz can of whole tomatoes, break them up with your spoon
1 small can of tomato sauce
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
pepper and salt to suit

Cook on low until you add the lentils.

When the lentils were almost done, I drained them and added them to the sauce.  I turned the heat up slightly and let it simmer while I waited for the pasta to finish cooking.


The only thing I might change would be to increase the garlic slightly.  However, I think this would be a great base to add to it any veggie you liked.  I'm thinking I would have liked to have bell pepper and mushrooms added. 






2 comments:

  1. That sounds like something we'd enjoy! thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. It is surprisingly good and I have been eating along on the leftovers. It reheats well.

      Delete

Due to a large volume of spamming I’ve had to undo the “anyone” can comment feature. Hoping this lets all of us not have to wade through the hoopla.

Winnie the Pooh Crochet Along Playlist

 Just popping this on here really quick for those that contacted me and asked for help. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDY94ekqubPTj...