Sunday, August 28, 2016

From the Kitchen

The last few days have been a whirlwind.  My husband comes home on weekends and we spend a lot of time just "being."  Of course, we always have things to do, but this weekend we opted for more entertainment type things than we did work.  Even with that half of Saturday was spent on chores. However, we have eaten very well.



Friday night we made pizzas using up the last of the marinara sauce from earlier in the week...using my first taste of Daiya cheese and I love it.  Kind of expensive, but allergen (for me) free and it worked well.  I also realized quickly a little would go a long way.

Strawberry balls using all food storage products.

That night we were craving something sweet, but I didn't want to be stuck in the kitchen during our movie watching time.  I made some quick strawberry oat balls.  Really simple:

3/4 cup dried strawberries (pulse in the food processor)
add in 1 cup of old fashioned oats, 1/2 cup of sunbutter, 2 to 3 tbsp. of agave
Pulse to blend.  Dampen your hands slightly and roll into balls.

They're ready to eat or you can freeze them for an hour.  I actually just refrigerated our leftovers because we prefer them that way.


I also tried my hand at making my first ever vegan "sausage" and it was a hit.  I made 6 patties using a recipe from Robin Robertson.  Saturday morning I used two in this hash that included red potato, Brussels sprouts, onion, etc.  This was a hit!


Saturday lunch was a simple meal.  I had been craving a tomato sandwich and even baked a loaf of bread with that in mind.


Saturday night I had time to play around in the kitchen.  I used kidney beans, Gardein meat substitute, homemade taco seasoning, etc. to create taco salads.  This was my nod to "fast food" or "take out" and they were actually really good.


Sunday has started out simple.  I cooked waffles (making extra to freeze), made scrambled tofu, and sliced tomatoes.  The plans for the rest of the day include fried rice for lunch and then burgers for supper.  I've made a vegan version of Thousand Island dressing for my husband to have on his burger in an attempt to somewhat replicate his beloved Big Mac.  I'll share how it goes.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to a large volume of spamming I’ve had to undo the “anyone” can comment feature. Hoping this lets all of us not have to wade through the hoopla.

Winnie the Pooh Crochet Along Playlist

 Just popping this on here really quick for those that contacted me and asked for help. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDY94ekqubPTj...