Friday, September 30, 2016

Corn Chowder



I'm fighting a cold.  It's going around.  First my daughter and then my husband -- so I am assuming I am next given that I now have a runny nose and slight sore throat.

I turned to the slow cooker for a simple meal that I knew both mama and I would like.

My pithy directions:

1/2 or so of a large white onion, diced
1 pint of home canned sweet corn
2 or 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced 
veggie broth to cover over the potatoes
salt and black pepper to taste

That's it. I cooked it on low for about 6 hours. Took a cup or so out and whizzed with the stick blender.  (That's why I peeled the potatoes, which I normally don't do for soups.)  I served it with cornbread while we were on the corn kick because it was just easy.  We ended up with two bowls of soup each.

Now this soup is versatile -- add peppers, carrots, or whatever you like. 

My goals were simple:
1.  use up items on hand
2.  an easy meal so that I had time to visit
3.  warmth for my throat
4.  creamy without dairy

This was actually quite delicious and it is one I will make again.  (Oh, if you don't have home canned corn, just use a couple of cups of frozen corn kernels.)


1 comment:

Due to a large volume of spamming I’ve had to undo the “anyone” can comment feature. Hoping this lets all of us not have to wade through the hoopla.

Winnie the Pooh Crochet Along Playlist

 Just popping this on here really quick for those that contacted me and asked for help. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDY94ekqubPTj...