Thursday, February 9, 2017

New to Me


I admit to being a total book lover.
So far this year I've picked up 5 new books to come home with me.

The Taste of Home Fast Fixes with Mixes is one I have been checking out from the library.
I had a chance to buy a copy for a penny.  I paid $3.99 in shipping for a total of $4.
Now I know that mixes may not seem like the most frugal option at first, but as I have mentioned before I am not cooking for many people anymore and sometimes a small mix is just the right amount.
I also bought this book with a second consideration.
My daughter, who for various reasons has difficulty with slicing/dicing/etc., needs to know how to not rely on take out as she goes out into the world. Mixes are a good alternative for her and we are working on building up a repertoire of dishes she likes and can prepare easily.

The New Basics Cookbook came home from the library booksale.  
I paid $2.00 for it.  
Reading the bread recipes alone made me feel like it was well worth what I spent on it.

The Souper Recipes with Campbell came home from the same booksale. 
I paid $1.00 for it.
It falls under the same category as the Mixes book and I am actually looking forward to trying some of these recipes.

The last two books were for me and also from the library booksale.
I love reference books of all kinds and at $1.00 I couldn't pass up the book of synonyms.
The book about Ben Franklin ($1.00) is one I'll read and put back on my shelf.
He is an individual I have always found fascinating and I am looking forward to reading this to see if I learn anything new.

6 comments:

  1. Just found your blog recently and I have been really enjoying it! To weigh in on the New Basics Cookbook...I love it so much that I am on the lookout for a new one because my completely fell apart! It's a great cookbook and very informative to boot. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by!

      I've been sitting by my chair and reading through it at night. Do you have a favorite recipe from it that you go to again and again?

      Delete
  2. One of my favorite things is to have a new stack of books to read. I hope you enjoy them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite way to spend the evenings after I settle in! I also checked out a book of "Sherlock Holmes" inspired stories that I am looking forward to reading.

      Delete
  3. I love a good cook book read. When I moved this past June, I downsized my collection, the Basics cookbooks was one of several that I unloaded. Agree, it has some good recipes in it. I have others, however, that are the mainstay of my repitoire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I confess to the not so frugal habit of buying lots of cookbooks lol.

      Several of my favorites are Mennonite cookbooks and I love Mormon based cookbooks for food storage cooking ideas.

      Delete

Last Week's Frugalities

We were traveling last week, but we allow for that in a separate budget from our household stuff.  In no particular order:  1.  I did pa...