Thursday, February 23, 2017

Pizza Crust Recipe

Carol, sorry this took so long!

I normally use one of three recipes for pizza crust.  I think you'll like this one best because it uses the bread machine for the kneading and first rising....much easier on the wrists.

Note -- We like a "hand tossed" thickness to our crust and I get 2 large pizzas from this.  You could easily get 3 thin crust pizzas.


1 1/3 cup of warm water
2 tbsp. Olive oil
4 cups of flour (I use any combination of whole wheat and white, or I sometimes use all of one or the other.  For the best "crunch" I find that at least half white does the trick.)
1 teaspoon of salt
2 tbsp. Of powdered milk
2 1/4 tsps. Of yeast
Optional -- add garlic powder and Italian seasonings

Run on regular dough cycle for the most tender dough.  However, if you have a quick dough cycle it will work for speed's sake.

After bread machine finishes, let your dough rest for 10 minutes while your oven preheats.  I set the heat somewhere around 400 F.

Roll your crust into shape.  (I actually use a rolling pin with this dough.)
Bake for 10 minutes.  (I bake both at once.  I put one on bottom rack and the other on top.  I rotate them at 5 minutes.)
Remove from oven.  At this point, I add my toppings to the first one and bake it for about 10 more minutes.  Sometimes a little less -- I check the crust.  As soon as I pull that one out, I pop the next in.

(I also have a quick pizza crust that is a "quick" bread.  My husband and I like it okay, but my daughter isn't crazy about it at all.  My food processor recipe only makes one crust...the taste is great, but not as good as this one.)

5 comments:

  1. Are these the crusts that you freeze ahead of time, after par-baking the first 10 minutes? I would like to try that out and see if that is a good option for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do freeze them. I have tried freezing them with toppings on and while they do cook fine, it is a messy proposition wrapping them. I only do that now if I make personal pan sized pizzas that I can slide in freezer bags.

      I just wrap them well and freeze. I take one out, set it on the counter, and preheat the oven to around 400 or 425. I add my toppings and pop it all in when the oven is preheated. It doesn't take long to bake them.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I will have to try this at some point.

      Delete
  2. Giving this a try tonight, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Hope it works well for you!

      Delete

Childhood Foods Revisited

While my husband and I were drinking our morning coffee, we were reminiscing about favorite elementary school meals. We both agreed tha...