Monday, October 16, 2017

A Trip to a New Grocery Store

On Friday I did a huge clean out of the refrigerator.  Took everything out, wiped it all down, combined some things, tossed a few (not many thank goodness), and made a quick list of items I was running low on.  

Saturday morning we decided to check out the new Lidl that opened not long ago.  I usually stick to Aldi and the Walmart Neighborhood Market because they are literally minutes from my house.  In fact, the only reason I don’t walk to Aldi is because I have no way to carry my bags home...lol.  The Lidl is probaby 5 or so minutes from us so it isn’t bad either.  I just don’t normally head that way for groceries.

 I was totally impressed.  As much as I love Aldi, and I really do, I think I like Lidl better.  They have a larger selection without having higher prices.  They’re much more like the traditional grocery store I am used to shopping at.  Their gluten free product prices are great.  Their veggies and fruits were fabulous.  (Sadly sometimes at Aldi they are hit and miss.)


My non food items — a box of freezer bags and two candles.
4 boxes of stevia, a bottle of wine, and a box of fruit flavored teas.
A pizza for my daughter, chicken nuggets for a quick meal (that I can share), and 2 dozen eggs.
Organic ketchup, pink salt, cilantro, Italian dressing, salsa, pasta sauce, and light mayo.


GF items — pizza crust mix, 2 boxes of rice pasta mac/cheese, 1 box of brown rice ceral
1 package of cookies to go in daughter’s lunches and corn chips for the snack basket.
2 rice side dishes.
Bananas, Roma tomatoes, red grapes, eggplant, English cucumber, 3 zucchini, Romaine lettuce, strawberries, and a bowl of fresh stir fry veggies.
Coffee creamer, 2 cartons of milk, Greek yogurt, sour cream, ricotta cheese, 4 l/f cream cheese, and soft cheese.

My cart was pretty much full and I spent $91.21.
I’m quite pleased with that because I bought a lot of fresh produce and a lot of dairy.
In addition to that I bought right many gluten free items, which are always a little more expensive.
(That total includes the wine and the two candles, which are not something I normally buy.
Removing those from the total would take $15 off.)

8 comments:

  1. I am anxiously awaiting Lidl's entry into CT. I've heard really good things on British blogs, and now yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really surprised at how nice it was. They also have a bakery, which I didn’t check out. Their meat sales were pretty good, too. I just didn’t need any this week.

      Delete
  2. Wow, sounds like a great store. Glad you found so many good deals. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad I finally went in. The store was large, open, and pleasant to shop in. I’m also guessing they have a high turnover on stock because the store parking lot is always full when I go past.

      Delete
  3. I looked up their store and wish there was one close to me. Maybe one will land in Atlanta and I can check it out when I am there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised when they put one here. If you ever get a chance check them out.

      Delete
  4. We don't have either of those stores around here, so I can only enjoy hearing about them from other bloggers! But, if they ever come here, I'll know to go take a look:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think our town is growing. We now have two Aldi stores and the Lidl opened. We also had a Publix recently open. In addition to that there are 3 Harris Teeter Supermarkets, numerous Foodlion stores, numerous Neighborhood Markets, two Walmarts, a Piggly Wiggly, and several other stores.

      Delete

Due to a large volume of spamming I’ve had to undo the “anyone” can comment feature. Hoping this lets all of us not have to wade through the hoopla.

Winnie the Pooh Crochet Along Playlist

 Just popping this on here really quick for those that contacted me and asked for help. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDY94ekqubPTj...