Friday, October 13, 2017

Holiday Baking — Ready or Not, Here it Comes

The holiday season is coming.  It always does whether I am ready or not.   😏. This year I am determined to be ready.  Starting early November we have a slew of celebrations.  We have three birthdays within the first two weeks of November.  My husband’s family is coming to visit for a long weekend.  Thanksgiving will be in there somewhere.  Then in December we have all the Christmas festivities. This year we have rented a beach condo for the holidays and I will be packing all our food.  With all that in mind, I’ve decided to practice a few easy desserts to make sure I can pull together one or two items that will work for the whole family.  I do not intend to be cooking multiple separate meals.


I ordered these books, along with three more I’ll share soon, from Thrift Books.  
I paid total for the 5 books less than one book cost new.
Like most gluten free books do, these contain some recipes I cannot use because of the nut content, but all in all I believe I will be able to use most of them.  
I’m quite used to “regular baking” by the seat of my pants, but I am still not ready to do that with gluten free products.
I don’t feel like I have perfected the ratios.

My town does have some options for gluten free products.
The Aldi has a small selection;  the Walmart Neighborhood Market does, too.
A couple of the nicer stores do, but I have difficulties frequenting them because of the fresh seafood counters.
After carefully reading over the recipes and some online searching, I decided to take advantage of a Vitacost coupon.
I was able to order my baking supplies for 20% off and receive free shipping.

I opted to order spice cake mixes because of their versatility....I’m dreaming of cake doughnuts, pumpkin muffins, carrot cake, chocolate chip muffins, and gingerbread.  However, what I really wanted was the flours to create the “base” for most of the muffins and desserts.

When it was all said and done there is about $55 worth of supplies there.
Not the most inexpensive, but not bad as far as the cost of gluten free flours go.
We have tried the Namaste all purpose blend and while it is okay, I am hoping we will like this homemade version better.
If we don’t then I’ll either go back to the Namaste or perhaps try another blend.
The nut and peanut allergies limit the varieties I can buy, so I have high hopes for homemade version.

I’m not affiliated with Vitacost in anyway, but I will say that I love how easy they are to shop from.
I also love that they do a quick turn around on shipping.  
I placed my order Tuesday evening, and it arrived by Thursday morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to a large volume of spamming I’ve had to undo the “anyone” can comment feature. Hoping this lets all of us not have to wade through the hoopla.

Winnie the Pooh Crochet Along Playlist

 Just popping this on here really quick for those that contacted me and asked for help. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDY94ekqubPTj...