Thursday, August 25, 2016

Small Batch Preserving

I wanted to cooki collards for my meals today and when I pulled them from the refrigerator I decided I would never finish the entire bag quickly.  I also knew I had some Brussels sprouts I wouldn't get finished up in a timely manner.  Because I could not remember the blanching times I pulled out my trusty food preservation book and looked up how to freeze them.  A few extra minutes of work and I put two meals worth of Brussels sprouts in the freezer and set a meals worth aside for this weekend.  I put a goodly amount of collards in the freezer -- I am thinking enough for two meals or one if we have guests.  At the end of that while my blanching water was still hot I went ahead and cooked my collards for today.


If you can find an inexpensive copy of this book and you like to preserve food it is one I would recommend.  It is compact and has so much information. 


All ready for the freezer!


No comments:

Post a Comment