Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Pumpkin Chili (Recipe Linked)

My first day of school happened to coincide with what I consider to be our first day that truly felt like autumn.  Nothing says autumn like pumpkin and chili to me.  Since my daughter and I had already invited my sister and her boyfriend over for dinner pumpkin chili seemed to be in order.  (My sister loves pumpkin chili!). Of course, since it was the first day of school I wanted something I could put in the crockpot.  

In the past, my go to pumpkin chili has used a jarred sauce.  However, it contains milk and is definitely not vegan.  This would never do for this fall, so I began a search for a vegan version.  I found this great recipe.  Healthy Pumpkin Chili found on The Glowing Fridge.

I used Aldi products to make it and only made one change.  I used 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika for a portion of the paprika.  I sautéed the onions and bell peppers for just a few minutes.  Then I put it all in the crockpot, stirred it, and cooked it on high for about four hours. 

This was my sampling to see if the seasonings were right.  It was perfect as was.


I let it cook while I worked on school work and near time for our meal I cooked a second (double) batch of brown rice in the pressure cooker.  I served the chili over brown rice with assorted toppings and a simple side salad made of spinach and veggies.


The meal was a success and I still have a quart jar leftover to use this week.  I think perhaps with cornbread to vary my whole grains.   This is a recipe I recommend trying.  Even the non vegetarians liked it.

2 comments:

  1. Oh yum! This looks very good and I love Pumpkin Chili. I used to make a Weight Watchers recipe of it a few years ago when I was a member. It's been a long time since I made it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you might like this one. It is so pantry and freezer friendly.

      Delete

Due to a large volume of spamming I’ve had to undo the “anyone” can comment feature. Hoping this lets all of us not have to wade through the hoopla.

Winnie the Pooh Crochet Along Playlist

 Just popping this on here really quick for those that contacted me and asked for help. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDY94ekqubPTj...