Saturday, October 15, 2016

Saturday's Meandering Life

I was up bright and early this morning to get a head start on my day.

Since I do my best thinking in the quiet of the morning, I worked on my history lessons.  I typed two papers, read 3 sections, and emailed the teacher a question about one assignment I haven't completed.  While I was doing that I enjoyed my pumpkin coffee.

When I had finished all that I took the dog for a quick walk and by the time I came back my daughter was up.  We did some quick spruce up chores -- dusting, vacuuming, cleaned the guest bathroom, made the beds, etc.  All the little daily things that need doing.

My husband doesn't do well with white flour products and requested I bake a pumpkin coffee cake for him for this weekend.  (He's not due to be in until late tonight.). I found a great recipe on this site for a pumpkin coffee cake.  I made a few changes.  I used fresh ground pastry wheat flour, vegan butter substitute, and soy milk.  It only took 30 minutes to cook in my toaster oven.  While this was baking I spent some time talking to my son.



I sat down to read some new to me cookbooks and after a bit decided I was hungry. I'm really hoping the freezer cookbook will help me when tax season begins again.




Breakfast was a simple meal of grits with vegan cheese substitute, dill pickles and the last few lingering tomatoes.



I decided to take the time to really get the pantry straightened up.  I had kind of tossed some last minute items in for my daughter before we left and then in preparation for hurricane Matthew she had added some more.  While I was at it I decided to update my master list of what was in there.  I see no reason that we couldn't eat well for a month or more just based on what we have on hand.  I'm going to ask my daughter and husband if they are up to the challenge.  I also realized I have an abundance of pasta and rice that I need to incorporate into more meals.

Lunch was a simple plate of seasoned potato wedges.

Supper was homemade pizza and a glass of wine.  

All in all not a bad day of using things on hand.  Other than the cheese on the pizza everything came from our food storage. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Snuggles