Saturday, January 20, 2018

Utility Bills — Good, Bad, and Downright Ugly

Last month I was very frustrated to see that my utility bill had crept up to $212.  My target goal for this bill is $200.  It includes electricity, water, sewer, and trash pick up.  (None of which I can opt out of.)  My electric bill arrived in yesterday’s mail.  


THE GOOD



I’m excited to say I’ve managed to get it back down a lot closer to my target.
I did this through a combination of turning down the heat another two degrees, using the pressure cooker whenever possible, and only running the dryer for towels and bedding.  I’ve also limited my baking except for on days when the temperatures made it advantageous to bake.  (Running my stove uses less electricity than my heating system simply because we have an open floor plan, and I cannot shut off rooms.)

Now for 

THE BAD


The bill for where my husband stays during the week came.
It went up $74...almost doubling.  
This doesn’t include his water or sewer.
(Trash pick up is not available.)
His comparable total would be $218.  
Sigh....
He’s agreed to keep a better eye on it.

THE
DOWNRIGHT UGLY

We have had snow twice and colder than normal temperatures for all of this month.
While I have been monitoring things here, I am still expecting a higher than normal bill.
I’m pretty sure he hasn’t been watching things carefully there so I have no clue what to expect from that bill.


I know it is a balancing game because there are spring and fall months where I can keep it lower, but I just hate to see them creep up.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to a large volume of spamming I’ve had to undo the “anyone” can comment feature. Hoping this lets all of us not have to wade through the hoopla.

Winnie the Pooh Crochet Along Playlist

 Just popping this on here really quick for those that contacted me and asked for help. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDY94ekqubPTj...